French President Emmanuel Macron landed in Delhi on Friday night along with his wife Brigitte Marie Claude Macron where they were received by PM Modi. Mr. Modi greeted Mr. Macron his signature style bear hug and welcomed Mrs. Macron with a handshake. This 3-day visit of the President is aimed at strengthening bilateral ties between India and France regarding economic, political, and strategic dimensions. Here’s what PM Modi tweeted to welcome President Macron:
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 9, 2018
On Saturday morning, Mr. Macron began his official engagements with a ceremonial welcome held at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. It’s going to be an important visit for both the countries whereby the focus is expected to be laid on maritime security and counter-terrorism. Further, it’s expected that at least 10 pact will be signed while a confidentiality agreement regarding the purchase of Rafale Fighter aircraft is likely to be renewed and updated.
Explaining further, here are some major points as to what all has been scheduled and planned for India and France out of Macron’s three-day visit.
• The French President is going to host an interactive session which will be attended by around 300 students from different levels and institutions. Mr. Macron will also be attending a Knowledge Summit where 200 academicians from both the countries are expected to mark their presence.
• India and France will be co-hosting the first International Solar Alliance (ISA) Summit to promote solar energy. It’s deemed to be a milestone in fighting against climate change and pollution.
• The summit will focus on various aspects of promoting solar energy in 121 countries associated with the alliance. India has set the target to achieve 175 GW of clean energy capacities including 100 GW solar and 60 GW wind energy.
• The two leaders PM Modi and President Emmanuel will engage in bilateral talks followed by delegation level talks. Various deals are to be signed between the two countries.
• There are going to be agreements on civil nuclear cooperation, solar energy, and electric mobility for Indian Railways as well as metro lines linked to the smart city project.
• Mr. and Mrs. Macron will be visiting Varanasi where they will be joined by PM Modi for a boat ride on river Ganga followed by a private lunch. Later, they will be reaching Mirzapur for inaugurating a 100 MW solar power plant. The French leader is also expected to visit Taj Mahal along with his wife.