Amid the recent global COVID-19 outbreak in India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Brussels has been put on hold for a while, the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement realeased on Thursday. This statement was out in public with India reporting another confirmed novel coronavirus case from Ghaziabad, taking the total to 31.
Taking full precautions in order to prevent the spread of the virus, the Delhi government has now ordered closure of primary schools in the capital with immediate effect till March 31. “All Delhi government, aided, private and schools run by civic bodies will remain shut,” said Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia. Delhi has also suspended biometric attendance.
Answering the questions relating to the India-EU summit, MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar informed the journalists that it was decided that delegates should not travel to each other’s countries in the crtitical time.
Mr. Kumar said the summit would be rescheduled to a mutually convenient date for all the countries involved and that date is yet to be decided. The summit was scheduled to take place at the EU office in Brussels on March 13. On March 4, 10 new cases of coronavirus were reported from Brussels, taking the total number of cases in Belgium to 23.
The Union Health Ministry of India confirmed that India now have a total of 31 positive cases of COVID-19. “A man from Ghaziabad, with recent travel history to Iran, has tested positive for the virus, taking the total number to 30. We have now asked the States to form rapid response teams at district, block and village levels to contain the spread,” said a statement released by the Health Ministry.
The cases that has been reported in India so far include “three cases from Kerala, who have now been discharged. In addition, there are three cases from Delhi-NCR, [two with travel history from Italy, and one with travel history of Iran]; six contacts of the first Delhi case with travel history of Italy; one from Telangana with history of Dubai travel and Singapore contact; 16 Italians and one driver[Indian] who was with the Italian tourist group,” the Ministry said.