It’s that time of the year when the worth of a cricketer is decided by a hammer and the audience eagerly awaits as to which player gets picked up by their favorite team. The IPL Auction 2018 has begun in Bangaluru whereby the fate of 578 players is being decided. Out of these, 361 players are Indians.
The bidding for top 16 players, who have been given a marquee status, starts with the base price of INR 2 Crores. Every year, the stakes go higher and so does the excitement of the tournament. As the earlier suspended teams namely Rajasthan Royals and Chennai Super Kings are making a comeback to the league, the shuffling and bidding game has certainly got even more interesting and worth looking forward to.
The auction is all about putting the highest price on the player that the franchise wants to choose for the team. There’s also a provision of ‘Right to Match’ (RTM) under which players can be retained by the owners. This implies that the players, who aren’t retained, automatically go back to the auction pool.
Highlights of IPL Auction 2018:
• Currently retained players by the franchises include mainly all the top players like Kohli and AB De Villiers (Royal Challengers Bangalore), Rohit Sharma and Hardik Pandya (Mumbai Indians), MS Dhoni, Raina, Jadeja (Chennai Super Kings), Steve Smith (Rajasthan Royals) and so on.
• Till now many players have been taken up by the teams, starting with Shikhar Dhawan, who was bought for INR 5.2 Crores by Sunrisers Hyderabad, followed by Kieron Pollard (INR 5.4 Crores) by Mumbai Indians, R Ashwin (INR 7.6 Crores) by Kings XI Punjab, Ben Stokes (INR 12.5 Crores) by Rajasthan Royals, and the auction continues.
• Interestingly, this year Harbhajan has been bought by Chennai Super Kings for INR 2 Crores. The player has been playing for Mumbai Indians for the past 10 years but now he will be performing under the captaincy of MS Dhoni. Another player who managed to get a taker was Yuvraj, who goes to Kings XI Punjab for INR 2 Crores.
• Meanwhile, Rahane goes to Rajasthan Royals (INR 4 Crores), Glen Maxwell (INR 9 Crores) and Gautam Gambhir (INR 2.8 Crores) bought by Delhi Daredevils, Dwayne Bravo (INR 6.4 Crores) snapped by Chennai Super Kings.
• While KL Rahul, an ace performer has been sold to Kings XI Punjab for a whopping INR 11 Crores, the star player Chris Gayle hasn’t been taken by any team as of now which has come as a shocking element from the auctions.
Here are some tweets related to players who got picked up in the IPL auction:
— Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) January 27, 2018
— Ashwin Ravichandran (@ashwinravi99) January 27, 2018
Dwayne Bravo is back with Chennai Super Kings!
— ESPNcricinfo (@ESPNcricinfo) January 27, 2018
— Kings XI Punjab (@lionsdenkxip) January 27, 2018
— Rajasthan Royals (@rajasthanroyals) January 27, 2018